Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Episode VI - Swimming

The image is one of true peril....what? Actually, of shame. I think that I don't need to explain this image as people in India should know it well. I would hope anyway.

The infrastructure here does not seem to support rain…or sewage for that matter. The people that could make a difference in India and Bangalore are busy worrying about more important issues like making sure restaurants are closed by 11:30pm(correction from earlier posts in which I stated 11pm). This could be they are fearful that flooding usually occurs after just after 11:30pm and they don't want anyone getting stranded like a police commissioner pictured above. Actually I am glad that Bangalore cares so much for its people(and its expats like me). This could also explain why they allow people to shit and piss all over the place...the rain will wash it all away anyways. And now you can't have live music without a license(new rule) which is actually something I actually agree with. Things like this should be licensed by the city in a commercial establishment for the protection of the patrons. Let's see the implementation of this though. I think that China is a strange place as it has a form of government that is basically fascist or in other terms evil, but I must say Bangalore actually has the benefit of the Judicial system and more specifically as it relates to the supreme court. The ruling that has recently has come into play is based on an interpretation of the existing law that has yielded an outcome which prevents people from making noise from the hours of 10pm thru 6am. This also means that no one can honk their horn after 10pm. And I believe you can really get people to follow this rule or rather law…..right.

The courts here I have been told are a bit on the activist side. Probably cause the implementers of law fail to do their respective jobs. I believe this as well. India should be thankful of its courts and their prudence and judgment in cases that favor the welfare of its citizens. An example of a poor implementer: I went my usually hang out last week here in Bangalore on the night where they have a form of live music. Karaoke. Well suffice it to say they had shut down the music as a result of the police. Here are the things I took away from my discussion with the cop standing in front of the establishment:

1. I questioned him on why they shut down this place cause i know that the reason they are shutting down the music is due to the dance bars..... His answer: Well this place you have people wearing really skimpy clothing too and you can’t have that. I thought that he was a total tool. For those who do not understand this reference (tool) look it up on Google. He was a total tool. The people that come to this restaurant and sing are the patrons. The citizens of frikin’ Bangalore. This is what is motivating this strange fascist behavior by the government. They basically are disapproving of what people are wearing. Now just to put things in perspective....Families come to this establishment as well as major corporations. One week I was there Levi's was having a party for its trainees. I realize that the more people realize how F'd up this place is the worse it will become for this place. The next time someone says “I don't know about going to China,” the thought maybe “well this place ain't that different.” I hope people like the fact the government in Bangalore is concerned with what people are wearing….

2. When I spoke to him about whom I was and I asked him about who he was at the end of the conversation he asked me for US Money....Strange. I guess either he was looking for a memento or the police dept. doesn’t pay him enough. This is one of the implementers. God help Bangalore.

3. When I asked him would the music ever return he said that they would have to get a license… Well the interesting point to note the local inspector was suspended for not closing a place down by 11:30pm. I guess the Judiciary is not the only activist in the government.

I guess everyone is too busy swimming to keep there heads up to be too worried about all this...

Cheers,

Deepak

Footnotes:
Here are some interesting links for you to chew on:

1. http://in.rediff.com/news/2005/jul/27rain21.htm (this surprised me)
2. http://www.nasscom.org/artDisplay.asp?art_id=4457
3. http://www.indianexpress.com/full_story.php?content_id=73780 (ah what the heck...)

2 Comments:

Blogger vevck said...

Here is why action was taken against the inspector, extract from New Indian Express.

" The inspector of Vyalikaval police station has been issued a charge-memo for allowing a live band to function illegally in his jurisdiction. Police Commissioner Ajai Kumar Singh told reporters on Monday that the Sheshadripuram ACP M.N. Indira had raided a bar in Vyalikaval where a live band was performing illegally on Sunday night. The police arrested six artistes and the owner."

But the government has to clearly define wat is Live Band and what is Live music and we also need to educate people on the actual developments.

Friday, July 29, 2005 1:56:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BEVARSI SOOLE MAGANE...

THAT PICTURE OF THE COP IS NOT FROM BANGALORE...ITS FROM BARODA...

HOW DARE U MISCHEVOUSLY PASS IT OFF AS ONE FROM BANGALORE...

OUTSIDERS LIKE YOU SHOULD BE BUTCHERED ON THE STREETS...

AS FOR POTHOLES IN BENGALOORU, SHOW ME ONE CITY IN INDA THAT IS FREE FROM POTHOLES OR EVEN BETTER OFF THAN BANGALORE IN THAT REGARD...

AND THEN CRIB....

BANGALORE WITH ALL ITS POTHOLES, IS WAY AHEAD OF MADRAS, HYD OR CALCUTTA IN TERMS OF GOOD ROADS AND INFRA...

ONLY BOMBAY AND DELHI ARE BETTER THAN BANGALORE...

IF YOU OR SOME BASTARDS LIKE NARAYANAMURTHY OR PREMJI DONT LIKE BENGALOORU, DO US A FAVOUR - "PACK UP AND LEAVE!! NOBODY'S STOPPING YOU!! NOR IS ANYONE SHEDDING ANY TEARS. DONT KEEP CRIBBING LIKE KIDS!!

IF CEO'S OF FORD, HYUNDAI, BMW ETC CAN SHUT THE FUCK UP AND GO ABOUT THEIR WORK IN MADRAS WHICH HAS EVEN WORSE ROADS WHEN COMPARED TO B'LOORU, WHO THE FUCK IS PREMJI OR HOEKSTRA OR NRM TO COMPLAIN....

FUCK OFF!!

Monday, February 27, 2006 3:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home