Thursday, July 07, 2005

Episode I - Confused and Damn Proud of it.

I just discovered yesterday that Bangalore has a law or rather a set of laws that none of the people every voted on, but are none the less in place and enforced. These laws happen to apply to commercial establishments that are involved with the sale of food, liquor and entertainment. I wonder if god is going to read this? Well, no matter. This is my first Blog and I am sure I will be forgiven so I will forge ahead.

The basic premise: You cannot serve food and Alcohol together after 11pm. Period. And of course entertainment… ah that confounded evil vice. Yes it is illegal to have live music in Bangalore in a place that serves alcohol. (I think that they are afraid that people will just forget where the bathrooms are in these establishments, walk outside and piss all over a wall or something to that effect – like that doesn’t happen now and without the alcohol consumption).

So now, from what I understand this law was actually put in place to put a clamp down on the un-conservative hedonistic places like “dance bars.” I won’t comment on this now since I would be venturing into an entirely different argument and discussion. I do however need to make reference to this as it is the starting point for the laws that are in place and that are figgin’ cramping my style…

Yes, this is about me (the selfish prick that I know am) and I entirely know that all altruism is based on vanity or dare I say narcissism. So keep this in mind (your grain of salt) while you read on.

This concludes my argument. What? I am just kidding. It’s not like that if I or the communities at large were to speak out on this issue that no one in local government would or would not care. Bangalore is not a communist city and is not part of a communist regime. And it would not seem so to the untrained eye or to the eye even if you are the typical foreigner type as well. Bangalore looks like any other under managed third world city, but it is definitely not.

I am, and I should qualify this, a true blue American. I am of Indian origin, but I am an American. I lived in the US my entire life except for visits to India. I lived there until now. I hope this does not change the way you feel about me and my message. Regardless of the messenger the message should be thought of without prejudice or contempt or any other irrational emotion.

Coming soon Episode II, Wait in line now for it as it should be a humdinger. Comments are welcome at this and any time.

4 Comments:

Blogger vevck said...

Good start Deepak. The very first subject you choose to blog is the most widely discussed topic by everyone in the city. I wish all the luck to the lowly American trying to bring change & awareness in Bangalore;)

Thursday, July 07, 2005 3:31:00 AM  
Blogger ceebee said...

way to go dude
ive also started to blog yesterday
http://carltonbraganza.blogspot.com/
cheers
carlton

Thursday, July 07, 2005 9:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, you gotta check out this site - it's ramn runny

http://winterson.com/2005/06/episode-iii-backstroke-of-west.html

Saturday, July 23, 2005 9:05:00 AM  
Blogger Ash Parikh said...

http://www.bangalorewalks.com/

D,
This is started by my classmate in school. Here is one guy that wants to make a diff...

Ash

Sunday, July 31, 2005 11:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home